Tuesday, June 21, 2011

19th June

It was never my annual activity to celebrate events like Father's Day, let alone to cook its dishes. Not because I don't love my father, but I never could understand the value of those events. Although I still remain not celebrating Father's Day, this year I decided to make my own choice of Father's Day dessert, Pavlova. In the end, the only person who enjoyed the desert was not my father, but my cousin instead.

Pavlova is basically a meringue based dessert with fruit toppings. The crunch on the surface and the marshmallowy texture inside makes me crave for more. Not to mention the different flavors of the toppings.. Pavlova is not a doubt my absolute fave.





Pavlova

Ingredients:
6 egg whites (room temperature)
1 cup superfine sugar
2 tsp corn flour
pinch of baking powder
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp white vinegar
200 ml whipping cream
pinch of salt
a selection of tropical fruits

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 170ÂșC. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Draw a 18cm circle on the paper.
2. Whisk the eggs using your mixer  on medium speed until soft peaks are formed. Gradually add the sugar on high speed until the egg whites turn into stiff peaks. 
3. Sprinkle over corn flour, baking powder, vinegar, salt and vanilla essence. Beat until all the sugar is dissolved. To tell if the sugar is dissolved, rub the foam with your fingers. If it feels gritty, then beat again for a few minutes. 
4. Mould the mixture within the circle. Place it in the oven for about 45 minutes.
5. Turn off the oven, leave the pavlova to cool. 
6. Add the cream on the surface. Decorate the pavlova with the selection of fruits.

No comments:

Post a Comment