Sunday, July 17, 2016

Butternut Squash, Spinach Apple Salad and Almond Crumble

It came to a surprise when my house received a surprise package of farm goodies from a good friend of my mom's. We received butternut squash, plump aubergines, and sweet potatoes. I was really happy and excited to receive them, I couldn't wait to cook with these local produce (and turns out they're from Subang!).

The butternut squash was the ingredient that I experimented with last. I have cooked the aubergines into a juicy tomatoey ricotta and aubergine involtini, and I simply steamed the sweet potatoes already for my midnight snack -- perfect while I have my Game of Thrones marathon. The rest of the ingredients were more familiar to me, and so I put the squash idle till I finally had the time to research on what to do with it. I never tasted it, let alone cook it. So when we received the squash, I had to research on the ingredients that go with it, and how to cook it right.




Still going with the local produce theme, I decided to pair the squash with local spinach for salad. I still can't get over the fact that the spinach and apples really go well with the lemon balsamic dressing. There's this balance of sweet, acidic and a bit of bitterness from the spinach that just go really well together. I think I've found a new favorite salad combo.

I also love the combination of the squash and the light lemony ricotta. I think the starchy and sweet squash is such a pleasure to eat, and I just love eating it on its own without much addition of any herbs or spices. Plus, the squash family is proven to have great nutritional value, and are low in calories. Think I've found my new favorite carb!


Recipe for two

Ingredients:
Spinach leaves, rinsed
1 red delicious apple, diced into cubes
Yellow onions to your liking, sliced
Quarter of a lemon
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
Dried basil
Butternut squash, 
3 cloves of garlic
1 shallot, grated
1 tomato, diced
2 tbsp ricotta
A handful of whole almonds or silvered almonds
Garlic powder
Granulated (powdered) ginger
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

Instructions:

Cut about 3 inches of your butternut squash from the larger side. Scrape out the seeds and drizzle your butternut squash with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake your butternut squash at 180C for about 30 minutes until fully cooked.

Mix your spinach, diced apples, and onion and put it aside. While they sit, mix three tablespoons of olive oil, half of the quarter lemon juice, and balsamic vinegar. Also add in your grated shallot and 1 grated garlic. Mix the mixture until all are incorporated, and add in salt pepper to your liking. This will be your salad dressing. Don't dress your salad until the moment you want to serve, or your leaves would wilt. Although, you can always drizzle your salad with a tiny bit of lemon so that your apples won't turn brown. 

In a small bowl, mix in ricotta, lemon zest, juice of the rest of the lemon, and bit of dried basil. Mix well and set aside.

Cut your whole almonds into small crumbles, or if you're using silvered almonds you don't need to do any slicing. In a pan of medium heat, toast the almonds with a teaspoon of garlic powder and half a teaspoon of powdered ginger. Cut the heat and set them aside when they're nice, golden and crisp. 

In the same pan, heat a bit of olive oil and then put in the rest of your sliced garlic. Then, put in your tomaotes and cook them until soft and fragrant. 

Time to assemble! First, mix your salad with your dressing and put them on a plate to serve as the bed for the squash. Then, put in your tomatoes. Cut your squash in half and put each squash for each plate in the middle of the salad bed. Spoon in your ricotta mixture on top of the squash. Then for the final touch, sprinkle your dish with your garlic-y almond crumble goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment